Mushrooms Are Great with Beef
Take a look at this mouthwatering recipe that was sent over to me from the Beef Information Centre.
Glazed Beef Medallions with Mushrooms
This classic combination of steak and mushrooms is ready in minutes. With a little forward thinking, you can use Marinating Medallions and marinate before cooking (see Cook’s Notes).
¾ cup(s) (175 mL) barbecue sauce
2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp (5 mL) crumbled dried rosemary
1½ lb (750 g) assorted mixed mushrooms (such as button, crimini, portabella, shiitake or oyster)
1 sweet onion, cut into wedges
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
1½ lb (750 g) Beef Strip Loin Grilling Medallions (about six), 1 inch (2. 5 cm) thick
1. Combine barbecue sauce, lemon juice, garlic, green onions and rosemary in bowl. Remove 1/4 cup (50 mL) for basting.
2. Cut mushrooms and into large chunks, keeping oyster mushrooms whole. Toss with onion, and salt and pepper to taste. Pan-fry in butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat for about 12 minutes or until slightly caramelized and liquid has evaporated. Stir in remaining barbecue sauce mixture; heat through.
3. Meanwhile, season medallions with salt and pepper to taste. Grill over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, brushing with reserved sauce occasionally. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve each topped with pan-fried mushrooms.
Cook’s Notes: If using Marinating Medallions, pierce meat all over and marinate in 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the basting sauce for 8 to 12 hours in fridge. Discard sauce used to marinate and grill as above, skipping the basting step.
If you like this simple recipe you might also like these from the Mushrooms Canada Library:
• Ginger Beef and Mushroom Stir-Fry
• Sautéed Steak with Port Mushroom Sauce
• Vietnamese Beef and Mushroom Soup
posted by Brittany