Are you ready to hit the beach?
Summer is coming… I can feel it! This past weekend it was beautiful outside… I spent some time gardening, lounging, and running in the glorious sunshine (which is something we have been lacking in these parts lately). With summer just around the corner, it got me thinking about the beach… and after 7 months of intense winter hibernation you may be looking to maintain your current weight or wishing to loose a few pounds… Either way, you can count on fresh mushrooms to help keep you full, fit and healthy this summer!
- Fresh mushrooms are a low glycemic food as they contain very little carbohydrate. That means that they do not raise blood-sugar levels as significantly as carbohydrate-rich foods, such as bread.
- Studies have shown that low-glycemic foods, including fruits and vegetables, may help control appetite longer than those with a high-glycemic index.
- Fresh mushrooms are a perfect choice for low energy-dense diets as they have high water content, are low in fat and contain some fibre: three factors that will help keep you feeling full with fewer calories.
- Researchers have found that people who eat satisfying portions of foods that are less energy-dense have greater success at weight loss and maintenance.
- Mushrooms add depth-of-flavor to foods, without adding a lot of extra fat, calories or sodium.
- Fresh mushrooms, shiitakes in particular, have a subtle savory quality called umami that rounds out other flavors and adds taste satisfaction. This comes from the glutamic acid they contain.
- Low fat Chicken, Mushroom & Gruyere Quesadillas via NWI Times
- Chicken and Mushrooms in a Garlic White Wine Sauce via SkinnyTaste
- Asian Mushroom Lettuce Wraps
Do you have any beach body tips to share?