Dinner Made Easy on the Grill
The past couple weeks have been such a treat, weather wise, before cooling off again to these normal March temperatures. In the warm weather, I took advantage of barbecue, and grilled up a tasty rendition of a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich.
In this quick and easy meal, I was able to incorporate mushrooms in every serving, from sliced crimini’s on the sandwich, to cheese-stuffed mushroom caps, to fresh Enoki’s on the Summer Salad. Every bit of this meal was a hit among my dinner guests – and it passed me off as a half-decent cook! This part counts for a lot, since I’m not so handy in the kitchen or on the grill, but wow did these mushrooms make my job easy! All-in-all the dinner took about 20 minutes which left me lots of time to visit and relax with friends.
Mushroom Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
Steak (I used the thin-cut fast fry steaks)
1 Red Pepper, sliced
4-5 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 Sweet Onion
2 large rolls or crusty buns
2 cups Marble Cheese, shredded
1. Barbecue steak on medium heat until desired rareness.
2. Meanwhile, sauteed peppers, mushrooms and onions, 3-5 minutes or until tender crisp.
3. Slice steak and place on bun. Top with peppers, mushrooms, onions and cheese. Return sandwich to grill for 1 minute, or until cheese is melted.
Crimini Caps Stuffed with Garlic Pesto and Cream Cheese
8-10 medium sized mushroom caps
Jar of prepared pesto
4 oz cream cheese
1. Clean mushroom caps and remove stems.
2. Spoon in each cream cheese and pesto.
3. On a baking tray, place on BBQ for 8-10 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft. Serve hot!
Fresh Summer Salad
This one was easy just toss any amount of fresh spinach with enoki mushrooms, blueberries, mandarin oranges, sunflower seeds, creamy poppyseed dressing, and whatever else you desire!
What are your favourite mushrooms recipes on the grill?