Blend & Extend Appetizer Contest: Beef and Mushroom Taquitos with Green Chili Avocado Crema by The Tasty Gardener
Our FBC Appetizer Contest has officially come to a close. A number of entries came in under the wire and we’ll be sharing those before revealing the big winner on Friday!
Beef and Mushroom Taquitos with Green Chili Avocado Crema by The Tasty Gardener
For the Taquitos
1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 lb cremini mushrooms
1 red pepper, seeds and stem removed
1 jalapeno pepper. seeds removed
1 medium onion, peeled
1 large tomato
5 cloves garlic, peeled
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup cojito cheese (or monterey jack), grated
24 corn tortillas
oil or chicken broth
For the Avocado Crema
3 avocados, skin and pit removed
1 cup sour cream
2 (2oz) jars of chopped green chilis
2 tbsp lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the taquito filling:
1. In a food processor chop the mushroom until fine.
2. In a large skillet over medium high heat brown the ground beef and chopped onion together until beef is cooked through and liquid is almost gone from the mushrooms. Make sure to break up the beef into small pieces while cooking.
3. In the same food processor pulse together the red pepper, onion, jalapeno, garlic and tomatoes.
4. Stir the vegetable puree into the beef and mushroom mixture and cook until all liquid is evaporated and vegetable are heated through. Season by taste with salt and pepper.
5. Remove filling from the pan and into a large bowl. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Once cool stir in the cheese.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
7. In a small skillet over medium heat add about 1/2 inch of either chicken stock or oil.
8. Working one taquito at a time place a tortilla into the hot liquid for no more than a couple seconds. This is to make them pliable for rolling.
9. Remove tortilla from liquid, place on work surface and add approximately 2 tbsp’s of filling along the length of the tortilla. Tightly roll up into the shape of a cigar and place seam side down on your cookie sheet. (I like to cover the taquitos with a wet cloth on the cookie sheet while I’m working to keep them from drying out.)
10.Repeat one tortilla at a time until all the filling has been used. Based on how full you fill them you will end up with anywhere from 18-24 taquitos.
11. Place in preheated oven and bake for 15-20 or until browned.
To make the crema
1. In your food processor blend together the avocado, sour cream, lime juice and green chilis. Season by taste with salt and pepper. Serve with baked taquitos.
I am Heather Lang. I live in Toronto with my fiancée and our three plant-eating cats, Daisy, Welly and Ozzy. I like to consider myself a multi-faceted individual, a Jane-of-all-trades. I graduated in 1997 from Cambrian College in Sudbury, Ontario with a diploma in Horticulture. I figure that if I can grow stuff in Sudbury I can grow stuff anywhere.
We can’t wait to announce a winner for our “Appetizer Spotlight” at the Blend & Extend table at the FBC conference in October.