FBC2015 Appetizer Contest: Creamy Mushrooms and Greens on Toast by Relish The Bite
The entries are rolling in for our Appetizer Spotlight Contest and let me tell you, it doesn’t make picking a winner any easier!
Today we are welcoming Suganya of Relish The Bite, who is sharing a classic! We can’t wait to sink our teeth into this mouthwatering appetizer.
Mushrooms on toast are usually a classic British dish. It is usually served for breakfast or evening snack with tea or even for a light supper. I love this recipe because of its simplicity, just sautéed mushrooms with some parsley and dumped over on toasted bread. I wanted to make it simple and perfect and want to feel the taste of the beautiful mushrooms with shallots. Mushrooms cooked for around 7 minutes so they release their juices and then cooked with cream and parsley, when placed over the toast it absorbs the delicious mushroom juices. The best thing about this recipe is mushroom topping can be made several hours even overnight and refrigerated. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the mushrooms over low heat and top on the toast and serve.
Creamy Mushrooms and Greens on Toast
Classic combo of creamy mushrooms, garlic and parsley piled onto toast. On the table in 10 minutes!
Prep Time: 2 minutes | Cook Time: 8 minutes
Bread (any kind) – 2 slices
Mushroom – 1.5 cup
Shallots – 2, chopped finely
Garlic – 2, minced
Butter/ oil – 2 tbsp
Cream – 2 tbsp, cooking cream
Pepper – 2 tsp, freshly ground
Parsley – 3 tbsp
Cheese slices – any kind you fancy.
Salt – as needed
1. Wash the mushrooms and cut off the stems. Chop the mushrooms bite size.
2. Melt 1 tbsp of butter/oil in a pan in medium high heat; add the shallots and when it translucent now add the mushrooms and generous pinch of salt and cook until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are nicely browned. It takes around 5-6 minutes. Then add the cream, parsley and pepper to it.
3. Mix well and switch off in 2 minutes when it in a consistency that it is not watery nor dry. It should be creamy. Transfer this to a plate.
4. In the same pan, drizzle oil or butter, toast the bread.
5. Now serve by placing the hot bread with a slice of cheese and top with the creamy mushrooms parsley mixture.
Vegan Note: Use vegan creams made from soy milk, use the cashew cheese instead of normal cheese and avoid the butter!
Hey! Hi, my name is Suganya Hariharan, speaker behind RelishTheBite. My “factual job” is writing SQL queries for my Quality Control analyst position and in cooking department: I do the cooking, writing, and photography for the blog . I live in Montreal, Canada but originally from Chennai, India.
*** NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY NEW FLAVOURS IN YOUR COOKING ***
Join the competition for your chance to win an “Appetizer Spotlight” at the Mushrooms Canada table at the FBC2015 in October.