We have a guest in the kitchen! Kacey of The Cookie Writer is here and are so excited to have her join us. We’re starting off the New Year right with this whole roasted mushroom chili! Healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and just plain delicious, you can always add in extra ingredients to make it your own!
Hello! Kacey from The Cookie Writer here with my whole roasted mushroom chili recipe!
I’m so thankful to be here today as a guest writer for Mushrooms Canada (bragging rights for winning the Appetizer Spotlight Contest last August with my Mushroom and Beef Cheese Balls!)
Mushrooms have always been a part of my life. I remember growing up with my mom making the best breaded mushrooms ever! I still use that recipe to this day, and find no restaurant recipe compares 🙂 That being said, I have fully branched out from breaded mushrooms and learned to incorporate them into every recipe imaginable.
Being vegetarian, I find mushrooms are a great meat substitute. They are, well, meaty in texture, and add a lot of flavour to a dish. My favourite method is roasting mushrooms with thyme, so it is no wonder this whole roasted mushroom chili came to be! Funny enough I had made this totally unhealthy bacon-meat-filled chili for my husband, and this vegan chili the next day for myself. And you know what? My husband had no issue devouring his AND my chili! He suggested whole roasted mushrooms go into his meat chili next time 🙂
With almost all of my recipe, this one can easily be customized to your liking. Add more veggies, or take away some (my dad hates onions, so his would have none!) Get creative! I used a mix of button and mini portobellos, but any of your favourite mushrooms can work here (though roasting time may vary.)
And if spicy meals are not your thing, don’t fret. My daughter handled this recipe like a champ, and she is only 5! I wanted the mushroom flavour to pull through, so I reduced my usually chili powder amount significantly.
Whole Roasted Mushroom Chili
Simple and delicious, the whole roasted mushrooms lend a ton of flavour to this meal!
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Total: 1 hour 35 minutes
24 oz button and mini portobello mushrooms, whole
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. dried thyme
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (19 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. Hungarian paprika
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 medium onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, chopped small
1 tsp. granulated sugar
Freshly chopped chives for garnish if desired
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner for easy clean up.
2. Add mushrooms, oil, salt, pepper, and thyme to a large mixing bowl. Toss until well combined.
3. Pour onto baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 15 minutes. Flip, and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until mushrooms are nice and golden.
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil. When hot, add in onions and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Stir in seasonings, making sure to add salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes. Add in tomatoes, mushrooms, and beans. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add in your peppers and sugar. Taste for seasoning. Cook for another 30-45 minutes, or until veggies are tender-crisp.
3. Serve as is, or with freshly chopped chives, sour cream, and/or cheese (my favourite topping!)
Note: You can make this meal in the slow cooker (but definitely still want to roast those mushrooms!) Save time by prepping the chili while your mushrooms are in the oven.
Love this whole roasted mushroom chili?! Try some of these recipes: