Guest Post: Mushroom & Thyme Cheddar Tart by Hey Modest Marce
We have a guest in the kitchen! We’re happy to welcome back Marcella of Hey Modest Marce and she’s back with another tasty dish. She brings vibrant flavours to a stunning, crowd-pleasing tart.
Marcella here, the creator behind the lifestyle blog Hey Modest Marce. While I work full time as a freelance photographer, the blog is where I share all my latest creations in the kitchen & design projects around the house. We recently left Toronto to move to the country in the town of Fonthill, located in the region of Niagara. While most of our spare time is spent in the kitchen, I love hiking the trails with my dog Buddy Holly. We are fortunate enough to live right next to a beautiful forest full of trails!
Mushroom & Thyme Cheddar Tart
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
1-1.5 cups of mushrooms, sliced thin (I used crimini mushrooms)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
1 cup Irish cheddar cheese, grated
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme, for garnish
1. In a saucepan over medium heat add the olive oil & garlic. Once the garlic has infused into the oil, add the sliced onions, mushrooms & thyme.
2. Let cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the onions begin to caramelize & the mushrooms cook down. Remove from heat & let cool.
3. While the mixture cools, prepare the puff pastry. Roll out frozen puff pastry into a square, trim edges & place on a baking sheet.
4. Brush with olive oil, top with grated cheddar & evenly distribute the mushroom mixture.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the pastry edges have puffed & turned a golden brown.
6. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, slice & serve.