Appetizer Spotlight FBC2017: Portabello Mushroom Sliders by The Food Blog
We’ve got another entry into our Appetizer Spotlight contest and the competition is heating up!!
Bloggers are sharing their favourite appetizers, this time with a Canadian twist, for a chance to win their way in to FBC2017! FBC members are invited to join the contest, but get your entries before the August 7th deadline. For those of you who are just here for delicious eats, watch the competition unfold, as we share each entry and help us decide!
We have another submission to share today! Colleen from The Food Blog brings Canadian flavours to the table in her tasty Portabello Mushroom Sliders.
Portabello Mushroom Sliders
Yield: 8 sliders
*Maple Caramelized Onions
2 tbsp olive oil
3 large onions, sliced into 1/8″
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
8 mini portabella mushrooms
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper
8 slices Oka cheese, or enough to cover mushrooms
Eight slider buns
8 slices back bacon sliced into strips
8 bib lettuce leaves, trimmed for slider buns
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat
2. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until starting to soften.
3. Stir in 1/2 cup water & bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until most of the liquid has disappeared.
5. Stir in another 1/2 cup water, and continue cooking 30-40 minutes, adding more water when needed.
6. Stir in maple syrup and balsamic vinegar.
7. Cook, stirring until onions are brown and most of the liquid has evaporated.
8. Remove from heat and set aside
9. Wash mushrooms and remove stems.
10. Put mushrooms in a shallow dish and whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
11. Pour olive oil mixture over mushrooms, turning to coat
12. Allow to sit for 30 minutes while onions are cooking.
13. Oil grill with cooking spray and heat to medium high.
14. Grill mushrooms covered, about 5 minutes each side
15. During the last minute of grilling, top each mushroom, stem side with cheese. Cover and heat until cheese is melted. Remove from grill.
16. While mushrooms are grilling assemble the slider buns by spreading each with Dijon mustard and mayonnaise on each of the halves.
17. Top the bottom halves with lettuce, bacon, and caramelized onions.
18. Add the cheese topped mushrooms, and top with the other half of the slider bun.
This recipe makes a one pint jar of Maple Caramelized Onions.
FBC Members are encouraged to join the competition with their own blended recipe! Click through for full contest details.