Guest Post: Sautéed Mushroom Guacamole by The Cookie Writer
We have a guest in the kitchen! We have Kacey of The Cookie Writer back in the kitchen with another drool-worthy dish. We’re kicking off the summer season with a mouthwatering backyard snack that highlights fresh, summer flavours! A healthy and versatile treat, everyone will have their chips in this dip!
Hello fellow mushroom-lovers!
Kacey from The Cookie Writer back again with a super easy appetizer recipe that is suitable for any dietary lifestyle. I love how mushrooms are perfect for both meat-eaters and non-meat-eaters. I tend to use them as my meat substitute, but my family never puts in a complaint when I add mushrooms to a meal (which is very often!) That being said, sometimes there are meals that we are used to that don’t contain mushrooms for whatever reason. Being the crazy-person I am, I decided to give mushrooms a try in my favourite dip recipe.Say hello to this sautéed mushroom guacamole!
Floored! That is all I can say, haha. My husband was a bit skeptical when I mentioned the idea, but the more he sat on the idea, the more he thought “why not?”. Why not indeed! I don’t know why I did not think of this sooner but it is here now, and it is never going away.
Originally, this sautéed mushroom guacamole recipe was created months ago when I was pre-planning summer blog recipes. I knew I wanted something quick, easy, but still flavourful and “gourmet.” My main concern in the end was that it was too easy, but once we put the first bite into our mouths it was LOVE. Something can be VERY simple and still delicious.With summer upon us, I highly suggest grilling your mushrooms for this recipe. It will beat heating up your house, and the smoky flavour from the grill will only enhance this appetizer. Think portabella, white button, cremini, or mini bellas. You want mushroom types that are meaty and a fair size so you don’t lose them on the grill.
Now, if a friend drops by unexpectedly, you shouldn’t have to feel too overwhelmed with dietary restrictions as this sautéed mushroom guacamole is vegan, gluten-free, and healthy! Win-win!!
Sautéed Mushroom Guacamole
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
5 medium-sized avocados, ripe (soft ,not squishy)
8 oz white, cremini, or mini bella mushrooms, halved then sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup white wine or vegetable broth for deglazing
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small lime, juiced
1 medium tomato, diced (or 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved.)
1 small red onion, diced (roughly 1/8-1/4 cup)
1. Set frying pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, stir in mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes, or until beginning to brown. Sprinkle with some salt.
2. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Pour in wine (or broth) to deglaze, cooking until liquid dissipates. Remove from heat to cool.
3. Cut your avocados in half and remove pit. Spoon out avocado into a medium-sized bowl. Mash until you reach desired consistency (chunky or smooth.)
4. Add garlic, salt, and freshly squeezed lime. Stir to combine.
5. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and onion, stirring until combined.
6. Cover and refrigerator until chilled, probably a good hour minimum.
7. Give it a taste test to see if it needs more salt or lime.
8. Serve on its own, with tacos, or burritos!
Note: You can grill your mushrooms on the BBQ with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Amount of lime and salt needed is based on preference (so taste as you go!)
Love this sautéed mushroom guacamole?! Try some of these recipes:
Mushroom Stroganoff (Vegetarian)
Caramelized Onion-Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apple
Caramelized Mushroom and Onion Dip