Beef Stroganoff with Mushrooms
To save time when making this recipe, prepare the vegetables while the beef marinates. Serve over broad egg noodles and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Beef Information Centre beefinfo.org.
Prep Time: 15 mins. | Cook Time: 12 mins.
Tip: You can also make this stir-fry with Extra Lean Ground Beef instead of strips – prepare the marinade to use as a sauce, skip the marinating step and pan-fry the beef for 8 to 10 minutes with the sautéed onion and mushrooms until the ground beef is cooked thoroughly.
1/2 cup white wine 125 mL
1 tbsp EACH cornstarch and paprika 15 mL
1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
1/4 tsp black pepper 1 mL
1 lb Beef Stir-fry strips or Grilling Steak 500 g (1-inch thick, cut into strips)
1 package dried porcini mushrooms 1
1 onion, chopped 1
3 cups sliced button mushrooms (8 oz/250 g) 750 mL
1 tbsp EACH tomato paste and Dijon mustard 15 mL
1/2 cup light sour cream 125 mL
- Combine white wine, cornstarch, paprika, salt and pepper in large sealable freezer bag. Add beef strips; seal bag, squeezing gently to massage marinade into beef. Refrigerate for up to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water with porcini mushrooms; soak for 20 minutes. Drain through paper towel lined sieve, reserving soaking water. Rinse mushrooms; chop finely and set aside.
- Drain meat through colander set over bowl reserving marinade. Stir-fry beef strips using medium-high heat in hot lightly oiled nonstick skillet for 2 minutes or until browned but still pink inside. Transfer meat to clean bowl.
- Cook onion with dried and fresh mushrooms in same nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened and golden. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Return beef to skillet along with any juices in bowl, reserved marinade and 1/4 cup (50 mL) reserved mushroom soaking liquid, tomato paste and mustard. Bring to boil, stirring constantly until just thickened. Stir in sour cream and heat through.
Protein: 29 g
Fat: 15 g
Carbohydrates: 14 g