Brown and Wild Rice Mushroom Risotto
Recipe by Darina of Gratinee.
Prep Time: 15 mins. | Cook Time: 55 mins. | Serves: 4
1 cup brown rice with wild rice
½ medium onion, finely diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup white wine
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
750 grams mixed organic baby mushrooms, such as crimini, button, chanterelle
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
½ cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat the stock to a simmer in a large saucepan on the stove. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and the oil to a large saucepan on high and cook until melted and bubbly. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir.
2. Add rice and coat thoroughly with the fat. Add a bit of the salt and pepper. Pour wine over rice and cook for a couple of minutes until some of the alcohol boils off.
3. Add two ladlefuls of the stock to the rice and stir well. Stir frequently as the stock starts to boil off and the rice begins to get soft. Add the mushrooms.
4. Keep adding the stock by ladleful, stirring every couple of minutes until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is thoroughly cooked through. This will take at least half an hour to forty minutes with brown rice. If you run out of stock, add a bit of hot water.
5. Toss in the butter, cheese and parsley and stir to combine. Divide equally among four plates and serve immediately. Can be served with extra cheese as a garnish.