Brown Butter Enoki Gnocci
This Brown Butter Enoki Gnocchi recipe is quick and easy to prepare even for those using these tiny white mushrooms for the first time. While the completed dish tastes surprisingly complex, it’s actually made with only four ingredients!
Recipe and photo by Gwen of Devour & Conquer.
Prep Time: 5 mins. | Cook Time: 10 mins.
1 package fresh Canadian Enoki mushrooms (200 g)
1 package gnocchi (500 g)
¼ cup fresh sage leaves
4 tablespoons butter
1. Begin by heating a large pot of water to boil for your gnocchi. Pull the sage leaves off their stems, wash and dry if necessary. Set the Enoki mushrooms flat on a cutting board, they will be attached at the base by a solid stem. Cut off the woody bottom end of the stems and gently pull the Enoki apart to separate the individual mushrooms.
2. Slowly melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat, cooking it to a frothy bubble (don’t overheat or the butter will brown too quickly, reduce heat if needed).
3. When the butter begins to sizzle, add the sage leaves and fry for 2 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel to cook.
4. Let the butter continue to slowly cook and when it begins to brown and release a nutty aroma, add the Enoki mushrooms. This is also when you add the gnocchi to the boiling water to cook.
5. Sautee the mushrooms for 2 minutes until they are softened and golden brown. Remove the Enoki with a slotted spoon and set nearby in a dish.
6. When the cooking potato gnocchi rise to the surface of the boiling water and look puffy and cloud-like, approximately 3-4 minutes, drain them and add immediately to the remaining butter in the frying pan. Heat over medium for 2 minutes while tossing to help the gnocchi soak up the brown butter sauce.
7. Plate the gnocchi immediately, top with the Enoki mushrooms and crispy sage leaves, serve warm and enjoy.