Cheese-Stuffed Sweet & Spicy Mushroom Meatballs
These Cheese-Stuffed Sweet & Spicy BBQ Mushroom Meatballs make the most delicious appetizer for your next potluck or party – just make sure to have plenty of these on hand because you’ll run out quick!
Recipe and photo by Taylor of The Girl on Bloor.
Prep Time: 15 mins. | Cook Time: 15 mins. | Serves: 20 meatballs
1 package button mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 small yellow onion, grated
¼ cup parmesan cheese
¼ cup breadcrumbs
2 tsp ketchup
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
10 mini buffalo mozzarella or bocconcini balls, sliced in half
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 cup sweet and spicy BBQ sauce
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for cheese, olive oil, hot sauce, honey and BBQ sauce.
2. Take about 1-2 tbsp of meatball mixture and form it around each cheese ball half.
3. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on med-high heat, then add meatballs. Fry for 10-12 minutes until meatballs are fully cooked and browned on the outside.
4. Meanwhile, mix hot sauce, honey and BBQ sauce together.
5. Remove meatballs from heat, then transfer to a large bowl. Toss in BBQ sauce mixture until fully coated.
6. Serve immediately on a platter with toothpicks inserted. Meatballs can also be prepared ahead of time and reheated in a 375F oven for 15 min.