Cheesy Taco Stuffed Mushrooms
Recipe and photo courtesy of Stacey of Bake. Eat. Repeat.
Prep Time: 30 mins. | Cook Time 25 mins. | Makes: 20-25 stuffed mushrooms.
20-25 button mushrooms (medium size)
½ small onion (about 1 cup), finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup finely chopped red pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon coriander
salt and pepper to taste
6 ounces (188g, ¾ of a package) cream cheese, softened
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup black beans, rinsed
1 cup corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper and set aside.
2. Wash the mushrooms and pop out the stems. Chop the stems finely. In a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, saute the onions until softened. Add the garlic, the chopped mushroom stems, red pepper, jalapeno pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander and salt and pepper. Continue to saute for 3-4 minutes until the onions have browned and the mushrooms have released their liquid.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese and the egg yolk until well combined. Stir in ½ cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Add the onion mixture, the black beans and the corn and stir well. If the mixture is really soft, place the bowl in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to allow it to firm up before filling the mushrooms.
4. Scoop the filling into the mushroom caps and place them on the baking sheet. Fill them up as full as you can, heaping it up on top to use up all the filling. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top of the stuffed mushrooms
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the filling is hot. Let them cool slightly before eating. The mushrooms can be prepared a day in advance and kept in the refrigerator until baking. Or you can prepare them and then freeze them before thawing and baking. Or bake and then freeze to reheat them later.