Easy Ground Chicken Ravioli with Mushroom Sauce
This flavourful ravioli comes together quickly thanks to packaged wonton wrappers. A creamy béchamel style sauce complements the roasted mushrooms perfectly.
Recipe developed in partnership with Chicken Farmers of Canada.
Prep Time: 15 mins. | Cook Time: 30 mins. | Serves: 4
1/2 lb (250 g) ground chicken
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh sage, chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh rosemary, chopped
1 pkg (about 48) wonton wrappers
8 oz (227 g) fresh mixed mushrooms (portabella, shiitake, oyster), coarsely chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
2 tbsp (30 mL) flour
1 ½ cups (375 mL) milk
1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan
salt and pepper
1. Place crimini mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
2. In a large saucepan, brown mushrooms, chicken, onion, garlic, sage, and rosemary for approximately 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Use spatula to break up large pieces of chicken.
3. To assemble ravioli place a few wontons on work surface (keeping other ones covered so as not to dry out); spoon filling in centre of each. Brush water around the outside edges of each wrapper; top with a second wrapper. Press out air and edges to seal. Place on a damp towel-lined baking sheet and cover with damp towel while making remaining ravioli.
4. Place chopped mushrooms on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast mushrooms in a 400°F/204°C oven for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Set aside.
5. In large saucepan melt butter and whisk in flour to make a roux. Slowly begin to whisk in milk; this will make a paste. Continue whisking until all milk has been added. Continue whisking over medium-low heat until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in nutmeg, parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Let cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming.
6. In large saucepan, of gently boiling water, cook a few ravioli in batches, about 4 minutes or until tender but firm. Remove with slotted spoon and keep warm while cooking remaining ravioli.
7. Divide ravioli between 4 bowls. Spoon sauce evenly over ravioli and top with roasted mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and leaves of fresh sage.