Hungarian Beef and Mushroom Soup
Light enough to lead into a meal, filling enough to be the main attraction at lunch, this soup showcases the classic Hungarian trio of flavours — onions, sour cream and paprika. Mushrooms add umami, beef brings protein and a trio of dried peppers keeps things interesting.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Charmian from The Messy Baker.
Prep Time: 15 mins. | Cook Time: 30 mins.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter gently over medium-low heat. Add the onions and salt, and cook for 10 minutes or until the onions are very soft.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the beef. Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms, dill, thyme, paprika(s) and cayenne, mixing to incorporate well. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes on medium-low or until the mushrooms have softened and the spices have infused their flavours.
- Stir in the stock, then increase heat to bring the soup to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Swirl in the sour cream and lemon juice. Taste, adding more salt if necessary.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a grinding of fresh black pepper. Serve immediately.