Polpette di fungi (Meat(less)balls)
Recipe courtesy of Mardi from eat. live. travel. write.
Prep Time: 25 mins. | Cook Time: 15 mins. | Makes: 10 balls.
1 teaspoon baking soda
50g freshly grated Parmesan
50g Panko breadcrumbs, plus extra for rolling
1/4 cup chopped plain parsley
1/2 cup finely diced fresh mushrooms (cremini, button, whatever you like!)?
Pinch sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil for frying
A jar (about 700mls) of your favourite pasta sauce
1. Beat the eggs and the baking soda with a whisk.
2. Slowly add the cheese, the breadcrumbs, the parsley and mushrooms to the egg mix. Season with sea salt and pepper and fold gently until all ingredients are combined.
3. Using a teaspoon form small balls of the mixture, then roll them in the extra Panko crumbs.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the egg balls 2-3 at a time and fry over medium heat until golden brown all round. You will need to turn them to make sure they brown evenly.
5. Drain on a paper towel and continue until all balls are fried up.
6. Heat your pasta sauce over medium heat and then add the balls when the sauce is bubbling. Turn the heat down to low and partially cover the saucepan. Continue to heat for about 7 minutes – the balls will be warm through and will have absorbed some of the sauce.
7. Serve topped with fresh basil.