Quick and Creamy Rotini with Broccoli and Mushrooms
Once you try this recipe, you will never ever again take another sideways glance at that boxed mac ‘n cheese stuff.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Sarah from Kiwi & Bean.
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 20 mins. | Serves: 4
½ pound rotini or other short pasta
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small bunch broccoli, cut into small florets (about 3-4 cups)
½ pound button or cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 box Boursin cheese (either the garlic/fine herbs or the shallot/chive variety)
½ cup water, chicken broth or white wine
¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh parsley, for serving (optional)
1. Prepare the pasta al dente, according to the package directions. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
2. While the pasta water is boiling, heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over low/medium heat. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant.
3. Stir in the broccoli and mushrooms and sautee for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the Boursin and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon, then stir in the water/chicken broth/wine.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then simmer for several minutes or just until the broccoli is tender-crisp.
6. Add the cooked pasta, nutmeg and parmesan cheese and cook until the pasta is warmed through.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve immediately topped with finely chopped fresh parsley (if desired).