Spicy Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms
Recipe courtesy of Suzie from Suzie the Foodie.
Prep Time: 15 mins. | Cook Time: 10 mins.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of freshly cooked pasta, your choice which kind
1/8 of a brick of firm tofu, cut into 1/2″ squares (about 10 pieces)
1 cup de-stemmed shiitake mushrooms, chopped
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp soy sauce
A little Sriracha hot sauce
Some toasted nuts and a handful of spinach
Spicy Peanut Sauce
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
Sriracha hot sauce (as much as you can handle, I just use a dot!)
1. Bring small frying pan to medium heat. Add olive oil.
2. Combine soy sauce with a little tiny bit of Sriracha hot sauce. Gently toss tofu in mixture.
3. Coat tofu in a shallow bowl with cornstarch.
4. Add to hot pan and saute on all sides. The tofu will develop a delicious crust.
5. When tofu is mostly brown, add the shiitake mushrooms for at least five minutes.
6. In serving bowl, combine ingredients for peanut sauce. Whisk together. Will take a while but it will come together.
7. Add in tofu, mushrooms, spinach, nuts and pasta.
8. Stir to combine until everything is nicely coated.
If you prefer to have your spinach cooked, add one minute before the tofu and mushrooms are done to help wilt. To be able to absorb the iron from the spinach, make sure to have with either juice or a smoothie high in vitamin C.