Three Ingredient Italian Sausage and Mushroom Bolognese
This Three Ingredient Italian Sausage and Mushroom Bolognese is one of those wonderful 30-minute meals. It uses a couple of cheater ingredients—Italian sausage and a jarred tomato sauce (no shame in that, folks)—to create the kind of flavour that would normally require a much bigger list of ingredients and longer cooking time.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Sarah from Kiwi & Bean.
Prep Time: 5 mins. | Cook Time: 25 mins. | Serves: 4
1 pound good quality Italian sausages
½ pound (~227 grams) mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 to 4 cups good quality jarred tomato pasta sauce (amount depends on your preference for saucy vs. chunky)
Cooked pasta, for serving (**start the water boiling before you make the sauce and your pasta should be ready just in time)
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Squeeze the sausage meat out of the casings and into the pan, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon.
2. Stir the sausage occasionally until it is browned and almost cooked through.
3. Push the sausage to one side of the pan and add the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms brown on one side, then flip them over to brown on the other side.
4. Stir in the tomato pasta sauce, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer the sauce for about 5-10 minutes.
5. Serve over the cooked pasta, garnishing with chopped fresh parsley and parmesan cheese if desired.