Selecting Fresh Mushrooms
Fresh mushrooms are firm to the touch, have uniform colour and have a slightly shiny surface.
Do not be alarmed by particles of peat moss that may be on some of the mushrooms, they are completely harmless and may be brushed off prior to use.
Care & Storage of Mushrooms
Mushrooms are delicate. Take extra care to prevent bruising, preserve high quality and maintain great taste. Here are some helpful handling tips that will ensure your mushrooms are good and tasty:
- Always keep your mushrooms in the refrigerator between the temperatures of 32°F and 36°F (0°C to 2°C).
- When mushrooms are purchased loose, they should be stored in a brown paper bag as they will breathe better and stay firm longer.
- Packaged mushrooms keep well in the refrigerator, but once opened they should be stored in a brown paper bag.
- Mushrooms are best when they are used within a few days of purchase, but can be kept up to one week.
- Prior to use, wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth or rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Do not wash mushrooms until you are ready to use them, as they may discolour.