Mushroom Stuffed Pizza Pocket Video
Mushroom Stuffed Pizza Pockets
Preparation Time: 30 mins. Cooking Time: 15 mins.
A larger version of this Italian recipe is often called a calzone. Vary the fillings to your families liking and you will win raves at the table.
5-6 medium fresh white Mushrooms (about 3 oz/90g pre-sliced)
1/2 cup diced green pepper 125 mL
1/4 cup pre-cooked bacon pieces or pepperoni 50 mL
1/2 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce 125 mL
3/4 cup pre-shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend 175 mL
1 pkg (10 oz/283 g) refrigerated pizza dough 1
1 tbsp milk 15 mL
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese 15 mL
- Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel or mushroom brush. On the cutting board with the sharp knife trim bottom of stems; coarsely chop the mushrooms to fill 1¼ cups (300 mL).
- Place the mushrooms, diced green pepper, bacon, pizza sauce and cheese in the bowl; stir to mix well. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- On a lightly floured counter or cutting board unroll the pizza dough according to package directions. Roll or press out to 12”(30 cm) x10” (25 cm) rectangle. With sharp knife cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Using a pastry brush moisten edges of each piece of dough with water. Mound ¼ of mixture onto half of each piece of dough leaving a ½”(1 cm) border. Pull and stretch the other half of dough over the filling and press edges firmly together.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and place pizza pockets about 2”(5 cm) apart on it. With the tines of a fork press edges firmly again to seal and prick a few holes in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush top of pockets with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place baking sheet in middle of oven and bake for 13 –15 min until lightly browned and crisp on top.
- Using oven mitts remove baking sheet from oven and place on cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- With sharp knife cut in half diagonally to serve if desired.
Makes 4 pizza pockets
Tip: If rolling dough on a cutting board, place a damp dishcloth under the board to prevent it from moving around.
Variations: Substitute broccoli for green pepper and ham for bacon.
Calories: 321, Sodium: 851 mg, Protein: 14.4 g, Fat: 11.1 g, Carbohydrates: 39.9 g, Dietary Fibre: 1.7 g