Mushrooms Masters: A Tournament of Taste – App Attack
This tourmnament is starting to get intense! Another win for Australia as Jennifer from Le Delicieux sweeps the GOLD with her Mushroom Wellington. Congrats Jennifer!
Well folks, I guess we need to take it up a notch here, so that we can win at least one round this year! Enter Team Canada Member #4 for our last round…
Representing Canada this week is Angela from Oh She Glows with her awesome Mushroom Walnut Pesto Tart. You may remember Angela from last year’s tourmanet, she took home GOLD for Canada with her vegan recipe, Easy Stuffed Portabella Pizza in a Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce. This year she will be taking on Ellie from Kitchen Wench (AUS), and Elana from Elana’s Pantry (USA).
Angela Liddon is the writer and vegan recipe developer for her healthy living website, Oh She Glows. She has been chronicling her life, favourite recipes, photography, and musings on body-image, career happiness, and self-love since 2008 and has been featured in magazines like O, Fitness, Self, VegNews, Glamour, and Best Health. Angela was recently selected as Best Health Magazine’s Favourite “Eat Well” Blogger and is a contender in Chatelaine Magazine’s Women of the Year awards.
Mushroom Walnut Pesto Tart
Required utensils: Food processor, skillet, baking sheet
2 garlic cloves
20 oz (~1.25 lb) sliced crimini mushrooms, divided
2/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts, divided
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp water
1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1/2-3/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
7-8 Phyllo Pastry sheets
Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing sheets
1 red onion, sliced into long strands
Remaining crimini mushrooms
Fresh parsley, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Thaw Phyllo dough according to package directions.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the sliced red onion in 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat. Stir often for about 30 minutes. In another skillet, sauté the sliced mushrooms in 1-2 tsp olive oil for about 20 minutes or until the water cooks out.
3. With the food processor running, drop 2 peeled garlic cloves in and process until chopped. Add in 1 cup (saving the rest for the tart) sautéed mushrooms, olive oil, and water and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Now add in the rest of the ingredients (using only 1/3 cup walnuts) and process until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/3 cup walnuts. Adjust seasonings to taste.
4. Place 1 sheet of Phyllo dough onto prepared baking sheet. Brush or spray on oil. Repeat for 7 layers. Carefully fold each side inward to form a crust. With a fork, poke lots of holes all over the phyllo to allow air to escape. You can also weigh it down with pie weights. Bake at 350F for about 18-20 mins until golden.
5. After cooling the phyllo for 5 mins, carefully spread on all of the pesto, top with the remaining mushrooms and onion. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves. Cut into squares and serve immediately.
Head on over to Tastepotting to vote for Angela’s Mushroom Walnut Pesto Tart Recipe now!
TIP: You can follow the contest by subscribing to Mushrooms Canada’s Blog Feed. Just click here to sign up! You don’t want to miss this contest!