Guest Post: Beef, Beans & Veggie Skillet by Marvelous Mommy Meals
Hello, my name is Jennifer; if you are looking for easy, quick and tasty kid friendly meals come by my blog Marvelous Mommy Meals. Every Monday we share our family meal plan for people to get ideas for their meals along with great kid approved recipes. I love to play around in the kitchen and always seem to have at least one helper with me.
I have always loved mushrooms, from raw with dip to cooked mushrooms added on the side or in my dinners. My husband also loves mushrooms and works as a mushroom farmer at a local farm. We try to include mushrooms in a lot of meals that we have as they are a great source of important vitamins and nutrients including fibre. I have to say my favorite mushrooms are grilled portabella burgers with garlic and butter; add some mayo and cheese, yum.
Beef, Beans and Veggie Skillet
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
8 oz of white or brown button mushrooms sliced – (you can also use a mixed variety of mushrooms. We usually add 16oz in everything that we make that calls for 8oz but that is our preference)
1 ½ cups of spiral macaroni (you can use other pasta of your choice)
2 cups of hot water
2 tsp of Beef bouillon *optional
2 cans – 14 ½ oz each of seasoned diced tomatoes (you can instead use 1 can –28 oz diced tomatoes and add 1 tsp dried Parsley, 1 tsp dried Basil, 1 tsp dried Oregano)
1 can – 19oz/540ml of mix beans drained and rinsed (Kidney, Chickpeas
1 can – 14oz/398ml of green beans cut
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese *optional
1. Brown ground beef, drain and reserve in a medium bowl.
2. Add mushrooms, onions, and minced garlic to skillet and cook about 10 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through, return ground beef to skillet.
3. Add canned tomatoes, hot water, beef bouillon and macaroni bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
4. Add mixed beans, green beans and heat through.
5. If you are adding cheese add it right near the end and let it melt.
Serves 6 -8
Thank you so much Jennifer for sharing this family friendly recipe with us!
Make sure you follow Jennifer over on her Blog, on Twitter and on Facebook.