Blend & Extend Appetizer Contest: Thai Beef in Toast Cups with Mango Salsa by Bakersbeans
This FBC Appetizer Contest has been making me hungry! Have you tried any of the recipes at home yet?
The mushrooms and beef blend together seamlessly in these flavourful cups. Wanda of Bakersbeans certainly has a hit on her hands with these Thai Beef in Toast Cups!
Thai Beef in Toast Cups with Mango Salsa by Bakersbeans
“I added just over a cup of minced fresh white button mushrooms. I was pleasantly surprised you couldn’t even tell there were mushrooms mixed in with the beef. The kids, not any wiser, enjoyed each recipe for different reasons.”
1½ lbs ground beef
1 cup white button mushrooms, finely diced
1 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soya sauce
½ cup water
1 cup mango, diced small
2 tbsp red onion, small dice
1 jalapeno pepper, remove seeds, small dice
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
½ lime, juiced
6 pieces of normal size bread (like wonderbread) with all 4 sides/crusts removed
Mini muffin tins
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add beef and break it up into smaller crumbles. Cook a few more minutes and add in your mushrooms. Continue to cook until you get a good brown on the beef. Brown = flavour.
3. In a bowl or cup mix together ½ cup water, fish sauce, sugar, sesame oil, soya sauce and stir. Pour into beef mixture, cook until almost all liquid is gone and flavours combined. Set aside to cool a bit.
4. To make the salsa, in a bowl mix together mango, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, pinch of salt and lime juice. Set aside.
5. To make toast cups, preheat your oven to 350F
6. Cut each the crusts of all four sides of each piece of bread. Cut each piece into four equal squares.
7. Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray or brush with melted butter.
8. Flatten each piece of bread a little with your hand or a rolling pin. Gently press each bread square into a mini muffin cup. Give another quick spray or brush of melted butter. Continue until you have filled all 12 mini muffin cups or if you have two pans, 24. If you do not have two pans, you will need to do this two times.
9. Place in oven and bake for 6-8 minutes or until the bread has turned lightly brown. Remove from pan, place on platter and begin assembling.
10. Scoop a little beef mixture into each toast cup. Top with a small amount of the mango salsa. If you have juice in the salsa sprinkle a little on top. You can either top with a cilantro leaf or serve as is. Serve immediately.
As a young child Wanda could be found helping her mom in the kitchen making perogies, or as she got older watching Julia Child on PBS on Saturday mornings.
In 2006, Wanda started blogging as a way to share adventures with family & friends. This led to a recipe of the week feature, which naturally progressed into a recipe blog, showcasing her love of cooking.
An avid member of The Food Bloggers of Canada, Wanda was inspired to start the Alberta Food Bloggers Group. She is also one of the organizers behind YYC Burger Week & debuting this Fall, YYC Pizza Week.
This work at home mom loves to attend social media, food & blogger events, plan moms wine nights, write editorials and local events listings, recipe test, sneak chocolate, and enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day.
Wanda is the author of food and life blog www.bakersbeans.ca.
Follow along with Wanda at Bakersbeans, as well as on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Join the competition for your chance to win an “Appetizer Spotlight” at the Blend & Extend table at the FBC conference in October.