Guest Post: Mushroom Breakfast Muffins by eat. live. travel. write.
We have a guest in our kitchen! We’re always happy to welcome back Mardi of eat. live. travel. write. for what we know will be a mouthwatering dish. Today, she’s back with a savoury breakfast idea that’s sure to make us all “morning people”.
I’m so happy to be back in the Mushrooms Canada kitchen today, visiting from eat. live. travel. write. I’m a big fan of mushrooms, eggs and tomatoes for breakfast but some days I don’t have time to cook myself that type of meal – especially during the week. These muffins combine the best of the morning meal in a hand-held breakfast-to-go! They are a denser muffin so they taste better warm – they day after they might need a few seconds in the microwave, a little bit of butter or simply toasting to bring out the flavours.
Mushroom Breakfast Muffins
makes 12 muffins
200g mixed mushrooms
2 large cloves garlic
4 tablespoons butter
325g (2 cups) flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
60mls (1/4 cup) sunflower or vegetable oil
180mls (3/4 cup) milk
75g soft goat cheese, crumbled
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Prepare your muffin tin by lining it with paper muffin cups or greasing it with a little oil or butter.
3. Slice the mushrooms and set aside 12 cross-sections to add to the top of the muffin batter before baking, or if you are using smaller mushrooms like shiitake, set aside 12 whole ones. Finely chop the rest of the mushrooms.
4. Peel and mince your cloves of garlic.
5. Put the butter in a heavy pan over medium-high heat and sauté the mushrooms and garlic until the mushrooms are golden and have lost most of their moisture.
6. Set aside to cool.
7. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
8. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk the eggs with the oil and milk.
9. Mix in the crumbled goat cheese.
10. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones.
11. Carefully add the sautéed mushrooms and garlic.
12. Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Top each muffin with the reserved slices of mushroom/ whole mushroom and one half of a cherry tomato.
13. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
14. Enjoy warm.