Blend your way into FBC2016: Beef & Mushroom Spring Rolls by Bakersbeans
FBC Members have the chance to win their way into the SOLD OUT conference, simply by submitting their favourite appetizer, making use of The Blend method. Blending is easy: simply blend finely chopped mushrooms into the ground meat of your choice to add depth of flavour, added texture, and beneficial nutrients to the dish.
We’re excited to share the first entry into this year’s competition, Beef & Mushroom Spring Rolls by Bakersbeans.
Recipe by: Wanda Baker of Bakersbeans
Prep time: 1 hour | Cook time: 30 mins | Yields: 20
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 tsp sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
3/4 cup minced mushrooms
3 tsp sesame oil
1 cup napa cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
2 green onions, sliced thin
1 package of spring roll wrappers (20)
1 egg, whipped up in a bowl (egg wash)
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine the soy sauce, fish sauce and cornstarch. Add in the ground beef and mix well. Set aside to marinate while you prepare and slice your other ingredients.
2. Thinly slice your napa cabbage, leafy parts only. Peel and grate your carrots. Let carrots sit on a paper towel to absorb some of the moisture. Slice onions.
3. Heat 2 tsp of sesame oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add your ground beef and cook until beef starts to get a nice golden brown. Sprinkle on sugar, add garlic, ginger and mushrooms. Continue to cook another couple of minutes until flavours well combined. Remove from heat and onto plate and let cool.
4. In second pan add 1 tsp of sesame oil. Toss in cabbage, carrots and onions. Cook approximately 3 minutes until vegetables soft. Remove from heat and set aside in pan to cool.
5. Once meat and veggies are cool mix together. Mix in cilantro. Set aside.
6. Place spring roll wrapper in a diamond shape with a corner facing you. Place 2 tablespoons of filling near corner – that will be plenty. Fold over corner and roll tight.
7. Fold over right and left side trying not to allow any pockets. Keep it tight and roll until it looks like an envelope then stop. With your finger rub a little egg wash along the out edge of the wrapper as though you were licking an envelop. Continue rolling and ensure sealed. Set aside and keep under plastic wrap.
8. Carry on until all rolled. Do not stack. Keep all under plastic wrap until ready to cook.
9. When you’re ready to fry, heat up 1½″ of canola oil to 350F. I like to use my wok.
10. Carefully drop spring rolls in frying 4-5 at a time and turning constantly for even browning.
11. Once they are golden brown place on a rack to cool down and drain.
12. Serve with Thai Chili Sauce or your favourite dipping sauce.
FBC Members are encouraged to join the competition with their own blended recipe! Click through for full contest details.