Guest Post: Roasted Cremini Mushrooms with Summer Vegetables by Chrissie Baker
We have a guest in the kitchen! We’re excited to have Chrissie of The Busy Baker joining us once again, sharing a tasty mushroom-packed dish. We’re celebrating the summer heat with a side dish that will compliment any grilled main.
Hi! My name is Chrissie Baker. I write a food blog called The Busy Baker that features easy, healthy, family-friendly recipes that anyone can make and enjoy (along with a decadent dessert every now and then, just to keep in real!). I’m a middle school special education teacher, but right now I’m enjoying staying home full time with my kids and cooking up all kinds of fun recipes to share on my blog. I’m so excited that Mushrooms Canada invited me back today to be a guest blogger and share another recipe with you!
I’ve always loved mushrooms and I grew up eating them in all kinds of dishes, raw, cooked, roasted, and my personal favourite way – in my dad’s famous hot and sour soup. They’re a regular part of our family’s diet now because they’re so delicious and they’re a great source of fibre and vitamin D. In the summertime, our favourite way to enjoy mushrooms is alongside fresh summer vegetables, like in this Roasted Cremini Mushrooms and Summer Vegetables dish. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today because it’s such an easy dish to make for summer, and it’s the perfect side dish to anything coming off the grill. It’s a super simple recipe that even the most inexperienced cook can throw together and it is so delicious!
Roasted Cremini Mushrooms with Summer Vegetables
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
2 small zucchini, cut into thick slices
1 dry pint of grape tomatoes
400 grams of Cremini mushrooms, washed, dried and halved
½ large red onion, cut into large chunks
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dried basil
a pinch or two of sea salt and black pepper
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
chopped cilantro or fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add the chunks of zucchini, the grape tomatoes, the halved cremini mushrooms, and the chunks of red onions to a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the garlic powder, the dried basil, the salt and pepper (to your taste), the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil to the bowl and toss everything together well until the vegetables and the mushrooms are well coated.
4. Pour everything out onto a baking sheet and arrange the vegetables and the mushrooms in a single layer.
5. Once the oven is heated to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, roast the vegetables and the mushrooms for about 20-25 minutes, or until the zucchini has softened slightly and the mushrooms have deepened in colour.
6. Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro or parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy this dish alongside your favourite burgers, grilled meats, or all on its own!
If you like this recipe, you’ll love my Mushroom Crostini with Herbs and Garlic or these delicious Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Mushrooms!
You just can’t beat fresh, seasonal flavours in the summertime! These easy roasted veggies are sure to be a favourite side dish on the patio this summer. Another big thanks to Chrissie for joining us in the kitchen!
Check out Chrissie online at The Busy Baker and on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!