Blend your way into FBC2016: Blended Taco Bites by From Our Hideaway
We’re having so much fun watching all of these delicious appetizers come through our kitchen. These tasty submissions are all contenders to for our Appetizer Spotlight at the sold out 2016 Food Bloggers of Canada Conference. Today is the last day to get entries in. Follow along this week as we share the final entries.
This will be another appetizer-filled week, with today’s submission coming from Cathy of From Our Hideaway. How fun are these Blended Taco Bites?! We hope you enjoy.
Blended Taco Bites
These tasty Taco Bites are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, grain-free, and nut-free! Really just meat, vegetables, a little fruit, and taco spices, they suit most diets. Although they are assembled in layers, each layer is simple and easy to make. Although they’re good served warm, they also taste great when served cold, making them suitable to make ahead for entertaining.
Prep Time: 15 – 20 minutes | Cook Time: 18 minutes | Passive Time: 1 hour | Makes: 48 bites
Equipment to Make the Job Easier: Mandoline, Food Processor, Small Cookie Scoop, Piping Bag, Oven
Sweet Potato Chips
2 sweet potatoes, about 2 1/2-inches in diameter
1 pound ground beef
4 ounces white mushrooms
4 tablespoons taco seasoning
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
24 cherry tomatoes
Note: This is an ideal make-ahead recipe. Plan to make either the sweet potato slices or the meat/mushroom patties ahead of time as they require different oven temperatures.
1. For the sweet potato chips, preheat oven to 425 F. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/16”-thick rounds. (A mandoline simplifies this step.) Spread the sweet potato slices into a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheets.
2. When the oven has completely preheated, put in the sweet potato slices to bake for 3 minutes. Without opening the oven door, turn off the heat and leave the the sweet potatoes in the oven for 1 hour. They should become crispy without burning.
3. For the patties, preheat the oven to 350 F. Pulse the mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped. Pulse in the taco seasoning and ground beef until a consistent texture is formed.
4. Scoop 48 small meatballs and, with wet fingers, press them a little flat onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. I use a small (2 teaspoon) cookie scoop. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. For guacamole, chop the garlic and cilantro in a clean food processor. Add the avocado, lemon juice, and seasonings. Puree until smooth.
6. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half for the garnish.
7. To assemble, arrange baked sweet potato slices onto serving platter. Top each one with a beef/mushroom patty. Drop or pipe a small spoonful of guacamole onto each one. (A piping bag works well for this.) Top each appetizer with 1/2 cherry tomato, cut side down.
FBC Members are encouraged to join the competition with their own blended recipe! Click through for full contest details.