Appetizer Spotlight FBC2017: Caramelized Mushroom Tart by UrbnSpice
We’re thrilled to see so many tasty appetizers come through! We’ve got another delicious recipe for you today…
Bloggers are sharing their favourite appetizers, this time with a Canadian twist, for a chance to win their way in to FBC2017! FBC members are invited to join the contest, but get your entries before the August 7th deadline. For those of you who are just here for delicious eats, watch the competition unfold, as we share each entry and help us decide!
We welcome Denise from UrbnSpice to the competition as she shares a drool-worthy tart – and that’s a cause for celebration!
Caramelized Mushroom Tart
I enjoy appetizer and small plates (what we like to call ‘tasties’) casual type of dining. Using puff pastry is a quick and easy way to make this Caramelized Mushroom Tart appetizer. One of my favourite variety of mushrooms is crimini mushrooms. Their dense, dry texture makes them the perfect mushroom for caramelizing. What better way to celebrate Canada 150 than making this delicious tart with Canadian grown mushrooms.
1 package (2 sheets frozen prepared puff pastry (each 10″ x 10″), thawed in the refrigerator overnight.
1 egg, slightly beaten (egg wash)
200 g (about 12 medium) Canadian Crimini Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
4 oz. Cream cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, thyme leaves, basil or any mixture of fresh herbs, minced
1/2 of a Red bell pepper, diced 1/4 inch pieces
Bocconcini Pearls, drained, as required
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. For the Puff Pastry Tart Shell: Unwrap the puff pastry sheets and roll them to smooth them out as they are already the proper thickness. The puff pastry sheets that I used were each 10″ by 10″. Place each onto parchment lined baking sheets. Prick the pastry all over with a fork so that it will lay flat and not puff up.
3. Brush the pastry around the outside edges with egg wash. Refrigerate while you are preparing the cream cheese filling.
4. For the Caramelized Mushrooms: Preheat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil.
5. Add the sliced mushrooms, pressing them into a single layer in order to caramelize them (about 3 – 5 minutes).
6. Add the minced garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
7. For the Cream Cheese Filling: Combine the cream cheese together with the Greek yogurt and the minced fresh herbs. Season the filling to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
8. Spread the cream cheese filling onto the puff pastry leaving a one inch border all around the puff pastry.
9. Sprinkle the caramelized mushrooms and diced red pepper on each the two tart shells.
10. Top the tart shell with the bocconcini pearls as required to fill the spaces in between the mushrooms and diced pepper.
11. Season the tart with salt and freshly ground pepper.
12. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden and flaky and the topping is bubbly.
13. Let the tart rest for a minute or two before cutting.
To Serve: Cut into small pieces as an appetizer or as a small plates offering or cut into larger pieces and serve as a snack. Enjoy this tart hot or at room temperature.
I know that you will enjoy this tasty, easy to make Caramelized Mushroom Tart on Canada Day or any other occasion.
FBC Members are encouraged to join the competition with their own recipe! Click through for full contest details.