Appetizer Spotlight FBC2017: Balsamic Mushroom Medley & Brie Naan Bites by The Kitchen Fairy
Do you have a favourite appetizer in this year’s contest? Don’t go judging too quickly, we’re not done yet! The entries keep rolling in and we’ve got another tasty one for you today. Bloggers are sharing their favourite appetizers, this time with a Canadian twist, for a chance to win their way in to FBC2017! FBC members are invited to join the contest, but get your entries before the August 7th deadline. For those of you who are just here for delicious eats, watch the competition unfold, as we share each entry and help us decide!
We’re excited to welcome Rita of The Kitchen Fairy to the contest, as she shares an appetizer that will impress any mushroom lover!Balsamic Mushroom Medley & Brie Naan Bites
A flavourful and easy mushroom appetizer perfect for your summer BBQ. Balsamic Mushroom Medley & Brie Naan Bites are made with Canadian-grown mushrooms and creamy brie cheese! Everyone will be satisfied with these bite-sized appetizers baked on mini naan flatbread until the brie is soft and melty, and drizzled with balsamic glaze!
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup sliced shallots
2 tablespoons butter
227g crimini mushrooms, sliced
100g shiitaki mushrooms, tough stems removed, sliced
100g oyster mushrooms, tough bottom stem ends removed, sliced
2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
½ cup jarred sweet roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and sliced
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
24 mini naan dippers (purchase two 160g packages)
200g wheel Canadian double cream brie cheese, sliced into 24 pieces
Balsamic glaze (in a squeeze bottle)
100g enoki mushrooms, woody stems cut off, stems separated and trimmed
Fresh thyme sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets by lining each with parchment paper.
2. In a large 12” skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and translucent, about 2 – 3 minutes.
3. Increase heat to medium-high, add butter and stir to melt. Add crimini and shiitaki mushrooms (reserve oyster mushrooms) and sauté while stirring occasionally until lightly golden brown, about 3 – 4 minutes.
4. Add oyster mushrooms and thyme, stir to combine, and sauté for 3 – 4 more minutes or until the mushroom medley is deep brown and caramelized.
5. Make a well in the centre of the pan and add the balsamic vinegar. Let it sizzle for a couple of seconds then stir to combine with the mushrooms. Cook for about 30 seconds until all the vinegar has evaporated and no liquid remains.
6. Stir in roasted red peppers and season the mushroom medley with kosher salt and black pepper.
7. Arrange the mini naan on the prepared baking sheets. Top each naan with a piece of brie cheese and top with one scant tablespoon mushroom medley.
8. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until the brie cheese melts and the bottoms of the naan are lightly browned.
9. Leave on the baking sheet, randomly drizzle with balsamic glaze, garnish each one with a few enoki mushroom stems and thyme sprigs. Transfer to a platter and serve warm.
Hi, I’m Rita from The Kitchen Fairy. I aim to inspire people to cook delicious homemade meals for their families by sharing my easy-to-follow recipes! You’ll find everything from quick one-dish dinners, to sweet desserts, and protein-packed vegetarian meals on my blog.
FBC Members are encouraged to join the competition with their own recipe! Click through for full contest details.