Guest Post: Mushroom Chowder with Bacon and Leeks
We have some guests in our kitchen today! Philip and Mystique from Chef Sous Chef are here and have whipped up something extra dreamy and creamy! It’s the perfect meal idea for lunch, dinner or even just an afternoon snack!
Rich, creamy and decadent, our Mushroom Chowder with Bacon and Leeks boasts earthy flavours with indulgent coconut cream. Loaded with bacon, leeks and potatoes, this is the way mushroom soup should be.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large leeks, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms, combination of cremini, oyster, and portobello, chopped
- 1 lb mini potatoes, quartered
- 2 L chicken broth
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Place the bacon in a large soup pot and turn heat to medium-high. Once the pan heats up and the fat begins to melt, stir the bacon and continue to fry until crisp, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the onions to the pot and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until translucent. Add in the leeks and garlic, season with a pinch of salt and continue to cook for 5 minutes stirring often. When the leeks start to brown stir in the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. Remove 1 cup of the mixture for serving.
- Add the potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot. Give a good stir then pour in the chicken stock. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Using an immersion blender, lightly puree the soup to desired consistency.. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Serve garnished with chives, coconut milk and reserved mushrooms.
This decadent chowder is a perfect meal to make when you want some good old fashioned mushroom soup, but with a kick! It’s creamy and delicious, just how a chowder should be!