Guest Post: Mushroom Grilled Cheese
With it being #NationalGrilledCheese month what better way to celebrate with this awesome recipe! Our special guest Mardi Michels from eat. live. travel. write has created a delicious Mushroom Grilled Cheese perfect for lunch, light dinner or snack!
I’m thrilled to be back in the Mushrooms Canada kitchen today, visiting from “go to” quick dinner – with a bowl of soup or a salad, it’s the best kind of “fast food” and it’s a great way to use up those last few mushrooms. Mushrooms sauteed in butter – what could be better? Well, actually, how about adding a bit of cheese?. Today I’m bringing you a recipe that’s a combination of two of my favourite foods – mushrooms on toast and grilled cheese. Mushrooms on toast is my
Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- 3 tablespoon salted butter, divided
- 6 cremini mushrooms (approx. 75g), thinly sliced
- A sprig of fresh thyme
- Flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices country-style (sourdough is good here) bread
- 60g cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat the butter in a small pan over medium-high heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the mushrooms and thyme and cook until the mushrooms have released their juices and are golden brown. Season with a pinch of salt and a good grind of black pepper.
- Use the remaining butter to butter the slices of bread and heat a heavy oven-ready skillet (preferably one with a ribbed base to make “griddle marks” on the bread) over medium-high heat.
- Heat the broiler to 375˚F. and place the slices of bread butter-side down and cook until they are just starting to turn golden.
- Place half cheese slices on one slice of bread and top with the mushrooms.
- Place the rest of the cheese on the other slice of bread and cook for a minute or so until the buttered side of the bread is golden brown.
- Place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from the oven and top the mushroom toast with the other slice of bread.
- Slice and serve.