Guest Post: Mushroom, Ham and Leek Skillet
We have a special guest in our kitchen today!! Louisa from Living Lou is here and has a delicious treat that you will want to make over and over again! This recipe is something anyone can make, doesn’t matter your cooking skill level! This recipe is amazing, just like Louisa!
“I think this recipe is the perfect example of my style of cooking; simple, fresh and flavourful. That’s what I always say when someone asks me to describe my “style”. This mushroom, ham and leek skillet takes just one pan and five ingredients for a magical weeknight dinner or quick weekend brunch.
I love this flavor combination because the subtle, sweetness from the leeks pairs perfectly with the earthiness from mushrooms. While the ham adds a savoury, salty hit and the eggs add richness to the final dish. Serve alongside some crusty sourdough bread and I think you have a pretty perfect dish on your hands.
This recipe was inspired by some leftovers I had in my fridge. I had a chunk of leftover ham from Easter, some button mushrooms (because I always have mushrooms in my fridge), and one rogue leek. Those are some of my favourite recipes to develop and cook, the ones that happen completely organically and are 100% the result of creativity.” – Louisa
Mushroom, Ham and Leek Skillet
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small leek, white and light green parts only, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 227g/ 8oz pkg. Button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups diced smoked ham
- 4 eggs
- Parsley for serving, optional
- Heat a large skillet over mediu, heat. Add olive oil, leeks, mushrooms and ham. Cook for 7-9 minutes, stirring frequently until mushrooms have released their liquid (it’s ok if some remains in the pan).
- Create four wells in the mixture, and carefully crack eggs into wells. Cover and cook until eggs have set to your desired doneness, about 6 minutes for medium-soft yolks.
- Serve with parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
This stupendous skillet can be enjoyed morning, noon or night! It’s a recipe that everyone will love and will want to make (or have you make) it over and over again!