Guest Post: Citrus-Kissed Mushroom Pâté
We have a special guest in our kitchen today! Charmian Christie of The Messy Baker is here she has whipped up one amazingly delicious recipe for you to try! It’s a perfect appetizer for any parties you may be throwing and it’s super easy to make!
Roasted mushrooms, toasted walnuts, and a splash of citrus combine to create a light, bright vegetarian pâté that everyone will enjoy. Perfect for parties, this dish is also make-ahead-friendly (if there’s such a word). Just transfer the finished pâté to a serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate for up to 5 days. For maximum flavour, allow the pâté to come to room temperature before diving in.
Citrus-Kissed Mushroom Pâté
Makes about 1 ½ cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- ½ red onion, ½-inch thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- ¼ cup soft goat cheese or feta
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment.
- In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms, onions, garlic and thyme. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Spread on the prepared baking sheet. Give a light sprinkle of salt and a generous grinding of black pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add walnuts and bake 5 more minutes, being careful the walnuts don’t burn.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and allow the mushroom mixture to cool to room temperature. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture into a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the cheese, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest and orange zest. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped and spreadable, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Taste, adding more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve at room temperature on bread, crackers, or toast.
This pâté is a perfect appetizer for any occasion! Whether it’s a girls night in, the big game or a fancy dinner party this dish is sure to be the spotlight appetizer! You and your guests won’t be able to get enough of it!