Guest Post: Grilled Mushroom Quesadillas
If you’re looking for something fun to make and delicious to eat then our guest today is going to knock your socks off!! Kacey from The Cookie Writer is here today and brought a brand new recipe that is sure to be your staple meal this summer!!
Kacey from The Cookie Writer back here today to share a fun, summer grilling recipe! You can also easily adapt the recipe for oven or stove top, too 🙂 I’m all about creative ways to use mushrooms. Button, shiitake, portobello, you name it, I love it! However, sometimes simple is best. These grilled mushroom quesadillas are flavourful and easy! Best of all, you can choose whichever variety of mushrooms you like (get creative and mix things up!)
PS: If you like things spicy, add in an extra jalapeno!
Grilled Mushroom Quesadillas
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
Cooking Tip: To make these mushrooms in the oven, roast at 425F for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Prepare quesadillas in a large skillet over medium heat (covering if needed to help with cheese melting!) I recommend these Cheeseburger Quesadillas to help guide you 🙂
- 1 lb mushrooms (I used a mix of button, mini bella, and portobello), halved (if using portobello, make sure it is chopped roughly the same size as the other mushrooms for even cooking!)
- 1 large jalapeno, sliced into rings (optional)
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil + more for greasing
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded sharp cheese (Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, etc.)
- 4 (8 – 10 inch) flour tortillas
- Prepare propane grill by heating three burners over medium-high heat.
- While BBQ is heating, slice mushrooms. Combine jalapenos, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper into a large mixing bowl.
- Add mushrooms and toss until well combined! You can also prepare this mix a day in advance.
- Adjust burners to medium heat (looking for 400F-425F.) Lightly oil grill.
- Pour mushrooms onto grill, taking care not to lose anything between the bars (looking at you, jalapenos!)
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, trying to maintain 400F-425F temperature. Flip mushrooms and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until browned to your liking (I like seeing how far I can go without burning them!)
- Move to a bowl.
- Lower heat to medium-low (350F)
- Brush one side of each tortilla with some oil.
- Place two, oil-side-down, onto grill. Quickly top each evenly with mushroom mixture and cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, oil-side-up.
- Cover and cook for about 3 minutes. Flip and cook for a few more minutes (keep an eye on them or you may end up with some char like I did!)
- Remove from heat, slice, and serve with your favourite toppings!
Note: Use as much cheese as you like! You could also use a vegan substitute if needed 🙂 Cook time may vary depending on consistency of your heat. For added depth, throw in some garden green onions!
So next time you have a Summer Party, you know what recipe to make! This quesadilla is jam packed with mushrooms (and little bit of heat). It’s the perfect meal for sharing, even though you probably won’t want to share!