Guest Post: Grilled Portabella Mushroom Sandwich
We have some guests in our kitchen today! Philip and Mystique from Chef Sous Chef are here and they have created your next favourite summertime meal! It’s got tons of fresh flavours that you’ll enjoy with every bite. If you’ve been looking for your go-to summer meal, well here it is!
A perfect sandwich for a summer picnic, our Grilled Portabella Mushroom Sandwich packs a punch flavour by marinating in lemon and mint, and paired with ricotta cheese, arugula, and a sun dried tomato mayo.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 sprig of mint, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 slices of bread
- ¼ cup mayo
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 8 sun dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- In a medium bowl, toss together the portabella mushroom slices, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, mint, salt and pepper.
- Preheat your barbecue or grill pan to medium high heat. Place the portabella slices and the bread on the grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes until grill marks have formed on the bread and mushrooms start releasing juices. Flip everything and grill for an additional 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are cooked through.
- To assemble each sandwich, spread 1 tablespoon of mayo on one slice of bread and 2 tablespoons of ricotta on the other slice of bread. Arrange a quarter of the mushroom slices on top of mayo, then top mushrooms with the sun dried tomatoes. Next place a handful of arugula then top with the other slice of bread. Cut in half and serve with your favourite sandwich side.
For added texture and crunch try adding chips into the sandwich. It’s our favourite add on to any sandwich and this one is no different