Guest Post: Mushroom and Garlic Crostini
We have a guest in our kitchen today! Carin from Eclectic Soapbox is here today with a appetizer that will be the next big hit at your next holiday party! This bite-sized snack will be the new fan favourite! It’s a great snack food or you can bring them to your next office potluck.
Mushroom and Garlic Crostini
(Quantities will depend on how much bread you use.)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup butter + 1 tablespoon for pan
- 2 cups of your favourite fresh Ontario mushrooms diced small
- 1 onion diced small
- Salt and pepper
- Soft goat or cow’s cheese
- Chopped up green olives (optional)
- Thin sliced apple slices
- Chives snipped into little pieces
- Slice baguette thin on diagonal
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Mix butter and garlic – let sit for at least an hour then brush on bread slices.
- Brush one side lightly and broil for a few minutes on high then flip them over, and get all the garlic bits spread out on the toast with the remaining butter mixture.
- Toast bread again for a few more minutes to make sure the bread is not soggy.
- When done take out of oven and put aside.
Note: Please watch your bread as it can burn in seconds! When done take out of oven and put aside.
- Melt butter in pan then on medium.
- Add onion, basil, and some salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and mushrooms when onions start to look transparent. (A few minutes.) I want my onions cooked a bit more to bring out the sweetness.
- Stir a few times for about five more minutes until the mushrooms looked cooked.
- Spread a thin layer of cheese on the bread.
- Add some of the onion mixture, sprinkle a few pieces of olive, then apple slices and chives.
Serve and Enjoy!
The holiday season is always a busy time of year, but with these tasty bites it’s one less thing you’ll have to worry about making!