Guest Post: The Ugly and Delicious Mushroom Pork Sauce
We have a guest in our kitchen today! Carin from Eclectic Soapbox is here today with a recipe for a sauce that is sure to be your new favourite and go to dish! It’s a great add on to any breakfast, lunch or dinner meal! It might not look the prettiest, but it sure taste amazing!!
I was challenged recently to find a new flavour combination using mushrooms and some kind of meat – something brand new that I’d never made before. I’ll be honest this boggled me since I use mushrooms with most things and wasn’t sure I could come up with something new. But I succeeded! I’ve made this ‘sauce’ a few times now and my family loves it. You can have it with eggs for breakfast as I as shown in the picture above, with rice or with mashed potatoes. One friend who tried it thinks it would be good with biscuits or toasted English muffins.
I agree that is doesn’t look all that appetizing but you will just have to trust me on this – it’s delicious. It is tricky coming up with a picture of this sauce that is drool worthy – unless you’ve tried it that is! Then you will know the big secret that the ground pork and mushrooms blend into something so “mushroomy wonderful!” It gives it a whole new flavour dimension you will want to eat over and over. Even my husband said he can taste the mushroom flavour and he approves. (He doesn’t think he likes mushrooms but he does – he loves everything I make with them so far and wants them over and over.)
The Ugly and Delicious Mushroom Pork Sauce
- 4 big white or crimini mushrooms wiped clean and chopped small
- 1/2 chub ground pork (or 6 sausages with skins removed)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 teaspoon flour and cream whisked together to thicken the sauce
- Cook pork in frying pan at medium heat and break up into little crumbles. This should take 4-5 minutes.
- Spoon out most of the fat. (I scrape the meat to one side then tilt my pan up a bit so the fat runs to the other side of then it’s pretty simple to remove it with a spoon. Be careful you don’t burn yourself.)
- Slice your mushrooms into thin slices one way, then the other to dice them.
- Add to pork in frying pan.
- Add chili powder and stir for a couple of minutes to combine all the flavours and cook the mushrooms.
- Add the cup of cream, stir. When it is heated, after a minute or two, add the mixture of whisked cream and flour, stirring until combined. This will thicken it. If you prefer a runnier sauce just leave the flour mixture out.
- Then all you need to do is add your eggs and enjoy!
It’s not always what’s on the outside that matters, but how great it tastes and how perfect it pairs with so many things!
For more amazing recipes, you can follow Carin’s cooking adventures online at Eclectic Soapbox and on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
This project was funded in part through the Canadian Agricultural Partnership (the Partnership), a federal-provincial-territorial initiative. The Agricultural Adaptation Council assists in the delivery of the Partnership in Ontario.