Guest Post: Mushroom and Ground Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese
We have a guest in our kitchen today! Tegan and Tony from FreshCap Mushrooms has made a super delicious treat for you today! It combines two tradition comfort foods into one mouth watering meal! This Mushroom and Ground Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese is just what you need to beat the winter blues!
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound button mushrooms chopped into pea sized pieces
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, thinly sliced 8 slices Provolone Cheese
- 8 slices white bread
- Add the ground beef and chopped mushrooms to a medium skillet. Brown the meat and while keeping the meat in large pea sized chunks (you don’t want to break it up to finely). Add the salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Stir gently, then remove from pan.
- Add half of the butter to the pan and add the chopped onions and start to Add the green pepper and cook until browned and caramelized. Once browned, add the meat and mushroom blend back in and combine.
- Spread the butter on one side of each of the 8 slices of bread.
- With the butter side down add one slice of provolone cheese to each slice of
- Scoop a generous amount of meat filling onto four slices of bread and close the sandwiches with the remaining slices. Press down lightly.
- Heat a skillet to medium and cook the sandwiches for 3-5 minutes on each side.
For more mushroom related recipes, you can follow FreshCap Mushrooms on their website!
This project was funded in part through the Canadian Agricultural Partnership (the Partnership), a federal-provincial-territorial initiative. The Agricultural Adaptation Council assists in the delivery of the Partnership in Ontario.