Guest Post: One Pot Chicken and Mushrooms with Rice
We have a guest in our kitchen today! Louisa from Living Lou is here and she has a tasty dinner recipe you will want to bookmark for safe keeping!
Do I ever love a one pot dinner. I’ve been making different versions of this one pot chicken and mushrooms with rice for a long time and it’s had so many different forms before landing on this version.
The chicken is seared and browned which results in a flavourful skin and lots of schmaltzy chicken fat–hello flavour! Please don’t strain out the chicken fat as this permeates the rest of the dish and makes the mushrooms and rice totally irresistible. Once the chicken is browned (it takes about 6-8 minutes per side, patience is the key here) it’s removed from the pan and the mushrooms get cooked in all of that delicious fat with a bit of garlic–we’re using one pound of button mushrooms here, but cremini would work wonderfully too.
Next the rice gets added, I like to toast it to soak up even more of the flavour and then deglaze with some white wine–this is the same technique you use when starting a risotto. Next comes the broth and finally, carefully place the chicken back on top (be careful not to submerge fully).
The whole dish then gets moved to the oven and cooked covered for 12 minutes and then uncovered for another 10-12 minutes. I find uncovering the chicken at the end allows the skin to crisp up again (if you cook it completely covered, the skin will end up limp).
One Pot Chicken and Mushrooms with Rice
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 46 minutes
- 8 chicken bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb of sliced button or cremini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 350F. Heat olive oil in a large, oven-proof saute pan over medium heat. Season chicken thighs with ¼ tsp of salt. Add olive oil and working in two batches, brown chicken thighs. Cook, undisturbed until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes, flip and cook another 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside, repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, cook until mushrooms are browned and have started to release their liquid, about 3-4 minutes. Add rice and remaining salt, stirring to coat.
- Deglaze with white wine, stirring until alcohol has cooked off and liquid is almost fully absorbed by the rice. Add chicken broth and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to pan, cover and cook in the oven for 12 minutes. Remove lid and cook another 10-12 minutes until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.