Guest Post: Mushroom Fried Rice
We have a guest in our kitchen today! Louisa from Living Lou is here and she has a tasty dinner recipe you will want to bookmark for safe keeping!
In the last year I’ve focused on two things in my kitchen; reducing food waste and cooking more vegetarian meals. And developing recipes that serve both of these goals; this mushroom fried rice definitely fits the bill. Fried rice is one of the best recipes for reducing waste in the kitchen and it’s easily made vegetarian.
As a cook and writer, I love pushing myself to be more creative in the kitchen and work with a variety of vegetables. I’ve found myself reaching for mushrooms often this year as they lend a “meatier” texture to dishes. That’s how they landed in this mushroom fried rice. I would often add chicken or ground pork here but found that mushrooms do the trick.
I’ve used white button mushrooms here, but you could easily use cremini, portabella or a mixture of them all.
The best way to make fried rice is with day old rice, but the truth is, I never really plan ahead so that I have leftover rice in the fridge. But if you have day old rice, by all means, use that!
Mushroom Fried Rice
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 4 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1lb mushrooms, thinly sliced (white button, cremini, portabella)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped green bean
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat two tablespoons of canola oil over medium-high heat in a large wok or nonstick skillet. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and tender, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of canola to the pan, add green beans, garlic and ginger. Cook another 2-3 minutes until barely tender. Add green beans to mushrooms, and set aside.
- Add remaining canola oil to pan followed by rice. Cook the rice for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until toasted. Add frozen peas, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Stir until rice is evenly coated in soy sauce mixture, about 1-2 minutes.Stir in the mushroom and green bean mixture. Serve.