Guest Post: Hot and Sour Soup with Exotic Mushrooms
We have a guest in the kitchen! We’re thrilled to have Loreto and Nicoletta of SugarLoveSpices joining us again, sharing a delicious hot and sour soup with fresh shiitake, enoki, and oyster mushrooms.
A play of spicy meets acidity and sourness adding in meaty exotic mushrooms, soft velvety tofu, crisp bamboo shoots, and beansprouts to an end result of pure delight! Wanting to put something different on the table tonight? Why not be adventurous and make this delicious soup!
Hot and Sour Soup
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 1/2 cups sliced shiitake, enoki, and oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup shaved cabbage
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 8 oz can bamboo shoots drained and slivered
- 3 green onion stalks chopped
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili sauce
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 350 g soft tofu cut into small cubes
- Salt and white pepper
- Pinch of Chinese five spice
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- In a large stock pot combine 9 cups of the vegetable stock, mushrooms, cabbage, bamboo shoots, ginger, soy sauce, chili paste. Season with salt and white pepper and a pinch of Chinese five spice. Bring to a boil then turn heat to a medium setting and let soup simmer.
- While soup is simmering, take the remaining 1 cup of vegetable broth and add in cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Once soup has reached a simmer, pour in vegetable stock/cornstarch mixture and stir until soup thickens.
- Add bean sprouts to soup and stir. Let that simmer for about 2 minutes then whisk eggs and slowly pour into soup all the while stirring in a circular pattern.
- Time to add the tofu, 1/3 of the chopped green onion and the sesame oil. Stir, taste for seasoning, and adjust if necessary.
- Ready to serve immediately. Garnish with some more green onion and a few drops of sesame oil.