Guest Post: Garlic Mixed Mushroom Farro Bowl with Goat Cheese & Candied Walnuts
Looking for a simple midweek meal featuring your favourite mushroom varieties? Taking just 30 minutes to prepare, this garlic mixed mushroom farro bowl, served with goat cheese and candied walnuts, is the perfect choice.
The great thing about this recipe, provided by HelloFresh, is that it gives you the flexibility to choose the mushrooms you’d like to include. Whether you choose a classic white button mushroom or shiitake and portabella mushrooms instead, you can select your mixed mushrooms based on your favourites.
This recipe serves two.
- 227g mixed mushrooms
- 7g chives
- 6g garlic
- ¾ cup Farro (contains wheat/blé)
- Vegetable broth concentrate
- 28g chopped walnuts (contains tree nut/noix)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 56g goat cheese (contains milk/lait)
- 56g baby kale
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (contains sulphites/sulfite)
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze (contains sulphites/sulfite)
- 3 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and wash and dry all produce. Trim and discard the stems of your mushrooms before quartering them. Thinly slice the chives and peel and grate the garlic. Whisk together balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp brown sugar and 2 tbsp oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss mushrooms with garlic and 1 tbsp of oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the middle of the oven for 18-20 minutes. Stir halfway through cooking until golden brown.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, add farro, broth concentrate and 3 cups of water to a medium pot. Place on high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat once boiling. Simmer uncovered for 14-16 minutes until farro is tender. Drain and place into the large bowl that has your dressing in. Toss to combine.
- While the farro cooks, heat a medium sized non-stick pan on medium heat. Add walnuts to the pan when hot. Toast for 4-5 minutes until golden brown, remembering to stir often to keep them from burning. Transfer to a plate and place parchment paper on your counter.
- Add the remaining brown sugar and 1tbsp water to the pan and season with salt. Stir for 1 minute until sugar melts. Add the walnuts to the pan, cooking for a further 1 minute stirring often so the mixture coats the walnuts. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully spread the walnuts in an even layer across the parchment paper. Be careful as the walnuts will be very hot. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add kale to the bowl with farro and toss to combine. Finely chop the cooled candied walnuts. To serve divide the farro and kale mix between bowls before topping with the mushrooms. Crumble goat cheese and drizzle balsamic glaze. Finish by sprinkling candied walnuts and chives on top.
Visit HelloFresh to try even more of their mushrooms recipes!