Guest Post: Pizza Stuff Portobello Mushrooms
My name is Alisa Infanti and I am the recipe developer and food photographer for The Delicious Spoon. I live in Hamilton, Ontario and am a wife and mom of two so I understand how important it is to be able make a meal for my family that is as easy to make as it is delicious!
As a kid you couldn’t get me to eat a mushroom. I mean in school they tell you it is a fungus and then well, that was game over for me. It wasn’t until I was at my friend’s home for dinner and their parents served mushrooms in a pasta dish and my mother’s rule “eat what is put in front of you” rang in my head. So down the hatch that mushroom went and I have been a fan ever since. I love the subtle woody and earthy flavour and meaty texture of mushrooms and now add them into my recipes whenever I can.
- 4 portobello mushrooms cleaned and stems removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 pepperettes, sliced
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 fresh basil leaves, whole or rough chopped
- Preheat oven to 440°F.
- In a small bowl add 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp of minced garlic, 1/4 salt and pinch of black pepper. Mix well. Baste the top of each mushroom cap with the oil mixture and place the mushrooms top side down on a non-stick baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven.
- Add 2 tbsp of pizza sauce, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/2 a sliced pepperette and any other desired toppings. Sprinkle with a pinch of Italian seasoning. Bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with a fresh basil leaf whole or rough chopped and serve.
- Choosing portobello mushrooms – Look for mushrooms that are firm and uniform in colour… not spotty. Good ones will feel dry, a little tacky but never slimy.
- Storing leftovers – Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat for 90 seconds in the microwave or in an oven at 350F for about 10-12 minutes.
- Freezing – make these ahead of time and freeze them for up to 3 months. You can freeze them for up to 3 months by wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap. When you are ready to make them just thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the oven or microwave