Guest Post: Sausage & Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
My name is Alisa Infanti and I am the recipe developer and food photographer for The Delicious Spoon. I live in Hamilton, Ontario and am a wife and mom of two so I understand how important it is to be able make a meal for my family that is as easy to make as it is delicious!
Crumbled Italian sausage, tangy blue cheese and crunchy pork rinds all stuffed into tasty little mushroom cap bites. Sausage & blue cheese stuffed mushrooms are the perfect appetizers to start a meal or to share with friends over a bottle of red!
- 20 larger mushrooms (white or brown) cleaned; stems reserved.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz Italian sausage casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 oz pork rinds crushed
- 3 oz blue cheese crumbled
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth to clean and remove stems. Set stems aside for later. Baste the tops of the mushrooms lightly with olive oil and place top down on a non-stick baking sheet. Drizzle the open tops with the remaining olive oil.
- In a large non-stick pan add the sausage with the casings removed over medium-high heat. Break the sausage apart with the wooden spoon to resemble a crumble. Continue cooking until browned.
- While the sausage is cooking finely chop the reserved mushroom stems.
- Once the sausage is browned add the minced garlic and continue to cook for another minute. Add in the thyme and chicken broth and use the wooden spoon to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add in the finely chopped mushroom stems and let simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed and the mushroom stems are softened.
- Transfer the sausage and mushroom mixture to a large bowl. Add the crushed pork rinds, crumbled blue cheese and black pepper. Mix gently until just combined.
- Place a heaping teaspoon full of the sausage stuffing mixture into the open mushroom caps and press down gently to form mounds. Bake for 20 minutes and serve.