Guest Post: Oven-Baked Mushroom Goat Cheese Spring Rolls
We have guests in the kitchen! Loreto & Nicoletta of SugarLoveSpices are sharing their recipe for these scrumptious spring rolls that are sure to impress.
Not fried but baked, these spring rolls are the perfect delicious finger food or appetizer. Crispy and crunchy with a most luxurious earthy plump mushroom filling and taken up a notch with fresh thyme and sage. Let’s not forget the cheese, with the addition of goat cheese and gruyere all nestled in these lovely parcels! For added flavour a side of garlic aioli, delicious for the dipping!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes Serves: 2-3 people
- 6 store-bought spring roll wrappers
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 14 cremini mushrooms trimmed, washed, and chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 5 fresh sage leaves chopped
- 1Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika
- 200 g plain goat cheese
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil mayo
- 1 tsp garlic finely minced
- Pinch of salt and white pepper
- A sprig of fresh parsley
- 2 sage leaves
- In a sauté pan, pour in olive oil and add the butter. Toss in onions and garlic and bring to medium heat. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Time to throw in the chopped mushrooms. Sprinkle in thyme, and sage, and sauté stirring frequently for 10 minutes. Take off heat.
- Sprinkle in chopped parsley and stir!
- In a ramekin whisk mayo, garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place spring roll wrapper in front of you on a clean work surface.
- Secondly, take a teaspoon of the goat cheese and spread along the width of the wrapper leaving a small border for closing.
- Thirdly, place a couple of spoonful’s of the mushroom on top of the goat cheese.
- Fourthly, sprinkle on the grated gruyere.
- Lastly, mix the water and cornstarch and whisk. Brush the outside borders with cornstarch mixture. Fold the outside left and right edges in and begin to roll away from you until the wrapper is completely rolled and place seam side down on a plate.
- Repeat this until all spring rolls are done.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and into the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of oven, place on a dish, and serve with a side of garlic aioli garnished with fresh parsley and sage leaves!