Guest Post: Sloppy Joe Farmhouse Muffins
We have a guest in our kitchen! Jenny from The Brunette Baker is here and she has cooked up something mighty good! These easy and delicious muffins are sure to be a family favourite.
- 10 count tube refrigerated biscuits
- 1 cup shredded cheese
For the filling:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
For the sauce:
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet relish
- In a skillet, cook mushrooms and onions over medium-high heat until tender. Add the beef and cook until it is no longer pink; drain liquid. Return the beef mixture to the skillet and add in Worcestershire sauce, chopped garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Mix to combine.
- Prepare sauce. In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and chili powder. Once desired heat and tang level has been established, add in mustard and relish. Mix well.
- Stir sauce into beef mixture until fully incorporated and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a muffin tin with a non-stick cooking spray. Next, separate the biscuits. Using the palm of your hand, flatten each biscuit and place into prepared muffin cups, pressing up the side to fill the form.
- Scoop several tablespoons of prepared beef mixture into each biscuit cup. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from the oven. Sprinkle with shredded cheese of choice and place back in the oven for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and biscuits are golden brown.
- Allow to cool for several minutes before serving.