Guest Post: Gouda & Honey Mushroom Tarts
This Gouda & Honey Mushroom Tart is perfect as an appetizer or fancy snack!
My name is Alisa Infanti and I am the recipe developer and food photographer for The Delicious Spoon. I live in Hamilton, Ontario and am a wife and mom of two so I understand how important it is to be able make a meal for my family that is as easy to make as it is delicious.
- 1 sheet puff pastry room temperature
- 6 oz onions 2 small or one large sliced in rings or rough chopped
- 16 oz white button mushrooms cleaned and sliced to 1/4″ slices
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup Gouda shredded
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Add the onions and 1 tbsp of butter to a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and sauté until soft and caramelized or browned.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and the remaining tbsp of butter to the pan and continue cooking until the mushrooms become browned and any liquid released has evaporated.
- Add a 1/4 cup of white wine to the pan and using a wooden spoon scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until the wine has been absorbed.
- Add in the garlic and thyme and cook for 1 more minute to release the flavours. Remove the mushroom mixture from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the room temperature puff pastry into 15 squares. Place the squares on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add the mushroom mixture evenly to the centre of each puff pastry square.
- Fold each edge of the puff pastry inward towards the mushroom mixture creating an open pocket.
- In a small bowl add the egg and milk and whisk. Baste the edges of the puff pastry with the egg wash mixture using a basting brush.
- Add the shredded Gouda to the top of each mushroom tart. Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the puff pastry is golden brown and flaky. If the pastry still looks translucent continue baking until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with honey just before serving.