Guest Post: Tofu Mushroom Soup
Recipe by Carole Nelson Brown of The Yum Yum Factor
Trust me, it will be worth finding the ingredients for this quick, nutritious dish. It is cooked halfway between a soup and a stew. If you want to make it vegan, leave out the egg and the fish sauce without sacrificing a ton of flavour. Because mushrooms are a huge source of umami, they are natural bff’s with with all of these delicious flavours.
I used sliced button mushrooms, but you can use any mushrooms you have on hand like shiitake, king oyster, portobello or cremini – just cook the mushrooms a bit longer if you use king oyster. Serve with a side bowl of sticky purple rice or a bowl of warm sushi rice.
Tofu Mushroom Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 to 10 minutes
- 1 tbl vegetable oil
- 2 tbl sesame oil
- 2 tbls Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 200 grams sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup kimchi, chopped
- 3 cups water or mushroom broth (I use Campbell’s Mushroom Broth)
- 2 tsp of instant dashi powder (I use Hondashi)
- 1 tbls fish sauce
- 1 tbls light soy sauce
- 1 pkg soft or silken tofu
- 2 eggs
- 2 bunches enoki mushrooms
- Optional garnish: Korean shredded chili, sesame seeds, Furiakaki
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pot over med heat and add in the sliced mushrooms, cooking until they start to soften. Add in the sesame oil, Gochugaru, garlic and the sliced whites of the green onions and cook until it all starts to bubble, about 2 or 3 minutes, stirring to make sure nothing burns.
- Add in the chopped kimchi and cook for another minute. Add the water or mushroom broth, soy sauce, fish sauce and dashi. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for a few minutes. At this point, add in the soft tofu, breaking it up into big chunks with a wooden spoon.Bring the soup to a hard, rolling boil and let it boil for 1 minute before you crack in the two eggs right into the soup. Let it boil for another minute to cook the egg (or a bit longer if you want your egg more well done).
- Divide the soup between two bowls and immediately add the cluster of enoki mushrooms.
- You can eat as it or serve it with a bowl of warm sushi rice.